Six Leading Marketing Strategies For Self-Storage Facilities
By Sarah Baker
marketing strategy is the key to guiding more potential tenants your direction
in the self-storage industry. Digital marketing tools and methods have surpassed
the importance of other marketing components, with online users increasing on a
daily basis. For that reason, here are six marketing strategies to consider.
1. A Responsive Website: The Cornerstone Of Your Marketing Strategy Your website is the primary building block in creating strategic marketing campaigns that will drive growth and increase your revenue. All your other marketing strategies will branch from and link back to your website. A responsive website automatically adjusts to fit the screens of tablets, smartphones, and computers as needed.A responsive website is now a significant ranking factor for Google.
is here to stay, and Google has taken note. In the past, Google focused on
desktop results first and then mobile. That is all set to change. Google is now
rolling out Mobile-First indexing. In other words, Google will prioritize
rankings for websites that display and function well on mobile devices.
to Google, every one second delay in mobile page load can lead to a 20 percent
drop in conversions of website visitors. If your site doesn’t load quickly,
potential tenants who are on your website may become frustrated and possibly
move to a competitor’s website. Be sure to take care of loading problems
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) The next important step is to make sure your website is visible to potential tenants on the most used search engines: Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Google makes regular algorithm changes because the world of search engine optimization, or SEO, is always changing.
is a long-term process that improves the quantity and quality of website
traffic through free organic search results. Strategic placement and
optimization of self-storage and location-based keyword phrases on your website are essential. Industry-specific keyword research and
a ranking report are used during regular SEO updates to further optimize your
storage website. Monthly SEO updateswill
position your website for the best visibility on the most popular search
Mobile And Voice Search
on mobile devices are overtaking searches on desktops. With this in mind,
optimizing your storage website for mobile search should be a top priority.
Google states that 28 percent of mobile searches for something nearby resulted
in a purchase.
search is also on the rise. In the Google search engine app, 20 percent of all
searches are done by voice, according to recent Google research. Trust your
mobile and voice search strategy to SEO professionals who have the necessary
expertise to take your website to the top.
3. Local Listings: The Link Between Online Search And In-Person Purchases Online searches for self-storage facilities are primarily location based. Local listings help potential tenants easily find your facility through search engines, maps, and online directories across the web.
listings are key to boosting your maps rankings. Your business name, address,
and phone number (NAP) should match across the web. Incorrect listings confuse
algorithms and drag your rankings down. Build brand trust with consistent NAP
your local listings protects them from being hijacked by competitors, who may
attempt to access your facility’s local listings and replace your business
information with theirs. Potential tenants may unknowingly call your competitor
and rent with them instead of your facility.
sure that your facility appears on Google Maps is crucial so that potential
tenants can get directions to visit your facility and rent a self-storage unit.
Google has stated that 30 percent of all mobile searches are related to location,
and searches that involve location and business hours are increasing.
to Google, 76 percent of people who search for local businesses visit a
business in person within a day. By providing prospective tenants with your
facility office hours, address, phone number, special offers, facility photos,
services, and more through your local listings, you are equipping them with the
information they need to find your facility.
4. Pay-Per-Click Advertising Pay-per-click advertising (PPC) can quickly help your facility receive increased online traffic. With PPC advertising, you only pay when someone clicks on your ad. Google states consumers who clicked on a Google search ad before visiting a store were 27 percent more likely to make an in-person purchase and spend 10 percent more on purchases.
details can be included in your PPC ad for self-storage such as starting
prices, special offers, types of storage units, and more. Self-storage and
location-based keyword phrases are used in PPC advertising to target potential
tenants in the area.
ads have several location-based targeting capabilities. Your PPC ad campaign
can help you reach new tenants in your target area by zip code, radius around
your storage facility, address and more.
Ads Lead to Storage Rentals
are specific techniques for PPC ads on mobile devices. Including your
facility’s phone number on your mobile Pay-Per-Click ad can greatly increase
the number of calls that your storage facility receives. The “Click-to-Call”feature allows prospective tenants to
easily click the phone number directly in the ad and call your facility from
5. Social Media Marketing: Connecting With Your Tenants Social media is a cost-effective way to drive brand awareness for your self-storage facility, as well as to connect with current and potential tenants. There are a variety of social media platforms available that can boost your brand image and communicate with your current clients. A few of the most popular platforms are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google +. It’s best to have a business profile on the social media platforms that your current and prospective tenants use most as another way to reach them.
Fill Out Your
Business Social Media Profile Completely
first step to a comprehensive social media strategy is to fill out business
information completely (includes address, phone number, email address,
services, “about” section, business category, additional descriptions, etc.).
posts on your social media profiles are essential
to maintaining your current followers and gaining new ones. Be sure to respond
to comments and engage with your followers. Asking questions and encouraging
your followers to let you know what they think can help increase engagement.
content can include storage tips, upcoming events that your facility is
involved in, new services, facility news, new employees, facility
anniversaries, facility features, business hour changes, new blog posts, a
place to ask for online reviews, and more.
Key components to include in each social media
Link to your
Timing Is Key
timing of your social media posts can be essential to success. Implementing
proper timing can increase the number of people who see your social media
posts. Make sure those posts are helpful to your tenants and not just a sales
pitch. Provide information they can use.
media is now a “pay to play” game. As of June 2017, Investopedia reported that
Facebook earned $7.9 billion in revenue from digital advertising in the
previous quarter. Facebook makes the majority of its earnings from Facebook ads
and rewards businesses that use Facebook to advertise with greater visibility.
Other social media platforms are incorporating a similar tactic.
6. Managing Your Online Reputation And Customer Reviews With 84 percent of people trusting online reviews as much as a personal recommendation, your self-storage facility’s online reputation can’t be ignored.
Respond To Your
some time each week to read your online tenant reviews and write a short,
customized response. Thank each tenant for taking the time write a review,
whether the feedback was positive or negative. Using the person’s name and
details about their experience is a great way to personalize your response.
Handle Negative Reviews With Care Most consumers expect to see both when looking at a business. If you receive a poor review, address the problem and encourage the conversation to be moved offline. Maintain a professional presence.
Bonus Fact: BrightLocal found that going from a three-star rating to a five-star
rating gets a business 25 percent more clicks! So, get on top of online
reviews as soon as possible!
path for your marketing strategy can certainly be complex and overwhelming. As
we live in an entirely digital world, the importance of digital marketing for
your overall business plan is crucial to success. Begin with these six leading
strategies for self-storage marketing and see what these can do to boost your
facility’s revenue and presence.
Sarah Baker is the marketing manager of The Storage Group.